Ralph Taber Burson, Jr.
Contributed by Ralph for the reunion of 2007
I am retired from 38 years in Technical Publications at Honeywell in Clearwater, Florida. I now have more time for my stained glass and my wife, Anne. I also serve on the Board of the Miniature Art Society of Florida, and volunteer in the Pinellas County schools and the Honeywell Retirement Club. I have one child and two grandchildren.
Do I have memories of growing up in Grandview? Let me list them.
- The Soapbox Derby on the Grandview Ave. hill
- The Grandview and Boulevard movie theaters
- Romeo's Pizza
- Leonardo's Pizza
- Ox Roast in the park below the hill
- Sledding on hill in my yard
- Carnivals on the lot north of the football field
- Ice skating on the quarry
- Working for the Tri-Village News
- Going to the drug store on Grandview Ave. after school and having a cherry coke and a Hostess Cupcake
- Painting the store windows on Grandview Ave at Halloween
And how about the class of '57?
- Car in the school lobby
- Going to Army reserve meetings
- Playing basketball at my house
- Adonis fraternity
- All night fraternity parties
- Being football manager
- My 49 Ford
- Talent shows
- Mr. Justus's songs and pinches
- Mr. Cornetet's funeral
- Coach Priday
- School assemblies as seniors
- Decorating the gym for dances
- Barber shop singing
- The Mickey Moore campaign for president (MIC-KEY-MOORE)
After high school and Army service, I attended OSU, Ohio Technical Institute, and Nova University, and went to work in the Technical Publications field.
Over the years, I have enjoyed bag piping, tennis, cross stitch, and Scuba.
Some of the major events in my life are
- Having a Son
- Moving to Florida
- My second life
- Seeing the stars from the top of Mauna Kea on Hawaii
- Seeing the total eclipse of the Sun in the middle of the Black Sea
- Around the world vacation
- Elementary school volunteer (senior) of the year
- Seeing my first commissioned stained glass window installed
- 38 years with Honeywell